Tuesday, September 23, 2014

My Top 10 Reads

Hi blog readers.

Happy first day of fall! I hope you are all enjoying the colors of the season, for those in regions of the world able to see them. That's probably the best part of it for me.

Before I get into the guts of my post, just a very short announcement.

NEW PUBLISHING NEWS COMING SOON!

That is all. (I know, what a tease, right? I promise... more details coming very soon.)

Now, to the focus of my post...

Recently a writer friend of mine, Kim Curley, asked me to list the top 10 books that have impacted my life. I posted my list on Facebook recently (for those who are interested, I'm "George Kulz" on Facebook - feel free to look me up and connect). I also posted this list on someone else's blog back in 2012. I'm reposting that list here, with my reasons why I chose them.

It was hard to narrow the list down to 10, because, let's face it, every book I've ever read has impacted me somehow. Even the ones that just weren't that good have taught me something, even if it's how NOT to write. I've reviewed the original list I put together back in 2012, along with the reasons why I chose them, and I do believe the list stands firm. For now.

After you read my list, please let me know what books have impacted YOUR life in the comment section. I'd love to hear all about them.

1. The Stand by Stephen King – ultimate tale of good vs. evil in my opinion (except maybe stories in the Bible), focusing on the nature of evil, forgiveness, sacrifice, and faith, which are common in all great pieces of literature.

2. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams – probably the best sci-fi comedy combination out there. First book I ever laughed out loud at when I read it. Unfortunately, it was while I was a teenager in the library. Any book that almost gets me kicked out of the library has to be good.

3. The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury – this one was on a high school summer reading list, and it was the first summer reading assignment I had that was FUN to read.

4. Lord of the Flies by William Golding – I came to this one late in life, and then I kicked myself for not reading it MUCH sooner. Probably the best study of social human beings in literature.

5. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving – again, I came to this one a bit late. I heard John Irving himself read this one, and was blown away by how powerfully written this character’s voice was.

6. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell – although classified as sci-fi, this one was powerfully “real” to me, and it was my first exposure to dystopian fiction before it was a thing.

7. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz – probably contains Dean Koontz’s most memorable main character in my opinion. He’s the everyman that all of us are, confronting evil with humbleness and faith.

8. The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub – first book where I actually cried over a character’s death. Don't judge! You've done it too, admit it!

9. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck – one of the most powerful, heartfelt, tragic and sad endings of any book I’ve ever read. Plus two of the most vividly painted characters I’ve ever read.

10. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss -what can I say? Fun beyond words, for generations before mine, mine, my own kids’, and I hope their kids’ someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment